Our company & It’s history
Much has changed over the years since George Mudford & Sons Ltd was founded in 1832 but one principle has remained constant, to provide a quality service and product that delivers customer satisfaction.
It’s been a long and winding road from the original Victorian premises on London Road to the large modern storage and workshop warehouses on Hallcroft Industrial Estate in the Nottinghamshire Market Town of Retford.
Mudfords started life selling a wide range of products from copper snares and purse nets to coffin webbing. Hemp ropes, sacking, tents, canvas, sheep netting were all manufactured on the premises. This mini-industrial establishment had its own looms, three storey warehouse and a workshop along with the locally famous 100 yard long rope walk, long since demolished.
Thomas Moss set up the original shop selling out in 1849. At the time, John Mudford, a sacking manufacturer from Sheffield and his partner John Cowper Mee paid £165 for the old site, followed by another £100 to buy more land to erect the rope walk.
As the twentieth century dawned George Mudford & Sons Ltd moved with the times and established itself in supplying marquees for virtually every conceivable function, including many attended by royalty.
John Mudford’s grandson George took over at the beginning of the last century paving the way for Michael and Joan Mudford to greatly expand the business during the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s leaving everything in great shape for the current generation.